Have you ever looked in the mirror and noticed wrinkles and frown lines that seem to have appeared overnight? Perhaps you’ve got an important event coming up and want to look your best. You’ve tried every anti-aging cream and serum on the market, but nothing makes a noticeable difference. That’s where Dysport™ comes in.
Dr. Goldman is a triple-board certified plastic surgeon with the skills and experience necessary to deliver exemplary Dysport results.
What is Dysport?
Dysport is a cosmetic injection, like Botox, which contains Botulinum toxin, a protein that can relax facial muscles. Small, precise amounts of Botulinum toxin are injected into specific muscles that produce wrinkles or other signs of aging to paralyze them, reducing wrinkles, lifting the brows, helping evert the lips, or producing other effects.
Botulinum toxin injections are most commonly performed on the forehead and between and around the eyes to help smooth out crow’s feet, vertical frown lines (at the glabella between the brows), and horizontal forehead lines.
Botulinum toxin injections may also be used to smooth the chin, elevate the outer brows, and perform a “lip flip” – eversion of the edges of one or both lips to improve shape and achieve slight augmentation.
Dysport can provide a more youthful, refreshed appearance without surgery by temporarily relaxing the targeted muscles.
Dysport injection uses
Aside from the treatment of wrinkles and fine lines, botulinum toxin products can be used to treat medical conditions such as:
- Migraine Treatment: Dysport has been approved by regulatory agencies in some countries as a treatment for chronic migraines. It is injected into specific head and neck muscles to help reduce the frequency and severity of migraine headaches.
- Excessive Sweating (Hyperhidrosis): Some individuals with excessive sweating, known as hyperhidrosis, may receive Dysport injections in areas like the underarms to reduce sweating by blocking nerve signals to sweat glands.
- Muscle Spasms: Dysport is also used as a muscle relaxant to treat muscle spasms and certain movement disorders. It is FDA-approved to help relieve muscle stiffness and spasms in conditions like cervical dystonia (neck muscle spasms) and spasticity in the limbs.
- Jaw Contouring: In some cases, Dysport may be used to reshape the jawline by relaxing the masseter muscles, which can lead to a slimmer facial appearance, improving the overall look of the jaw and cheeks. This effect is subtle.
- Eye Disorders: Dysport can also be used to treat certain eye conditions, such as blepharospasm (involuntary eyelid spasms).
However you choose to use Dysport, be sure it is under the supervision of an experienced healthcare professional.
The results of Dysport injections typically become noticeable within a couple of days but take about 2 weeks for full effect. Duration varies, but Dysport generally lasts about 4 months before gradually wearing off.
About 20% of patients have a significant effect for about 6 months between the brows. Many patients do feel Dysport lasts longer than Botox.
The specific results you can expect from Dysport treatment depend on factors such as the area treated, the dosage administered, and your individual response to the injections. Injections are precise and may be adjusted over time to achieve optimal results.
It’s essential to consult with a qualified healthcare provider, ideally under the supervision of a board-certified plastic surgeon or other core physician, to discuss your goals and expectations, evaluate your physical characteristics, and determine the best approach for your unique Dysport injection.
What are the benefits of Dysport?
Some of the principal benefits of Dysport include:
- Reduced fine lines and wrinkles: Dysport is an effective treatment for reducing the appearance of facial lines and wrinkles, making you look younger and refreshed.
- Non-surgical: Because Dysport is an injection, no surgery is needed, so downtime is minimal.
- Quick and easy: Dysport treatments are quick and easy, typically taking less than 5 minutes to complete. You can resume your daily activities right after the procedure.
- Precision: The procedure is performed with precision to ensure that patients retain a natural facial appearance.
- Spreads evenly: Dysport spreads evenly within the intended muscles, giving a natural appearance.
- Safe and effective: Dysport is a safe and effective procedure when performed by qualified, experienced professionals, like the trained advanced practice providers of Beachwood Plastic Surgery & Medical Spa and Westlake Plastic Surgery & Medical Spa.
- Minimal downtime: Cosmetic injections like Dysport generally have minimal downtime. Occasionally, patients develop small bruises at injection sites that can be concealed with makeup. Large bruises are possible but uncommon. You can return to your normal routine immediately.
Dysport vs Botox
While Dysport and Botox contain the same neurotoxin: Botulinum toxin type A. They have similar effects, but many patients feel that Dysport lasts longer at similar doses.
Notable differences include:
- Active ingredient: Dysport and Botox contain botulinum toxin type A, but the formulations differ slightly. The associated proteins used to stabilize the toxin create a smaller overall protein structure for Dysport than Botox.
- Spreading: Perhaps because Dysport is a smaller molecule than Botox, it has a faster onset and slightly wider spreading. Wider spreading can produce a smoother result, especially in the forehead.
- Results: All forms of Botulinum toxin produce similar results, but Dysport and Botox are the most widely used of the approved products. The injection result depends more on having a skilled, qualified injector than on the specific product injected, but many patients do prefer Dysport.
- Dosage: Comparing dosing of Dysport, Botox, and the other neurotoxins can be confusing for patients because each company’s dosing is different, and doses cannot be directly converted from one product to another. Typical Dysport dosing uses more units than Botox for similar effects and costs.
- Preferences: The choice of Dysport versus Botox is highly individual and depends on the preference of both the patient and their skilled injector. The cost is similar. Duration, spread, feel, and past experience all affect choice.
Who is the ideal candidate for Dysport?
The ideal candidate has facial wrinkles, glabellar lines, or other esthetic concerns that can be addressed by relaxation of facial muscles. Men and women use Dysport. Young adults and older patients are candidates.
Other factors that make an ideal candidate include:
- Specifically concerned about vertical frown lines between the eyes (glabellar lines), crow’s feet, or horizontal lines in the forehead. These are the most common areas injected.
- Desires subtle augmentation and shaping of the lips.
- Desires subtle smoothing of vertical muscle bands in the neck.
- Desires smoothing of the chin or upward turning of the corners of the mouth.
- No allergic reaction to the ingredients in Dysport.
- Seeking a non-surgical cosmetic treatment.
- Not pregnant or breastfeeding.
It’s important to note that Dysport is not recommended for patients with certain neuromuscular disorders. During a consultation, Dr. Goldman or his advanced practice injectors can evaluate your needs and determine if Dysport is the right treatment.
During a Dysport injection, a fine needle is used to inject the purified protein directly into the facial muscles responsible for furrows and glabellar lines. No systemic anesthesia is needed, but topical numbing cream, ice packs, or other techniques may be used.
The procedure typically takes less than 5 minutes, making it convenient for those with busy schedules.
To prepare for the procedure and get the best possible results, it’s important to follow some guidelines:
Avoid: You should avoid taking anti-inflammatory medications, aspirin, vitamin E, or fish oil before the treatment, as these can increase the risk of bruising.
Actively engage in: Eating fresh pineapple and green vegetables before the procedure may help reduce bruising. The former contains natural bromelain, the latter has vitamin K, both of which may help.
After receiving Dysport, avoiding facial massages and electrical or laser treatments for 24 hours is important because your face will be sensitive.
Subsequent treatment depends on patient preference but is commonly done at intervals of about 4 months.
Potential side effects
While there are minimal side effects of Dysport, it’s still important to be aware of them before considering treatment. Some minor side effects include:
- Minimal injection site pain
- Mild bruising
- Swelling or bruising
- Less than 1% of patients may develop droopy eyelids (ptosis). If this occurs, it generally improves with a specific type of eye drop and usually lasts less than a month.
If you experience any of these side effects, be sure to contact your health care professional right away. It’s also important to disclose any medications or supplements you are taking and any medical conditions before receiving Dysport injections, which is part of the routine pre-treatment consultation.
After receiving Dysport injections, patients can usually resume their normal activities immediately after treatment. Some individuals may experience minor discomfort or tenderness at the injection site.
Avoid rubbing or massaging the treated area for 2-4 hours after treatment. There is no evidence that exercising right away interferes with the injection, but many doctors do recommend waiting 2-4 hours to exercise.
Most patients notice the onset of muscle relaxation two days after treatment, but the full effect takes up to two weeks after injection.
Schedule a Dysport Consultation
Ready to say goodbye to the appearance of wrinkles and glabellar lines? Dr. Goldman is here to help with the Dysport procedure. We understand every patient is unique, so we offer personalized consultations to ensure that Dysport is the right choice for you.
During your consultation, we’ll review the entire process, including what to expect during the procedure and recovery. We’ll also discuss any potential risks and side effects and address any concerns or questions you may have.
Schedule your consultation today and take the first step towards a more confident and youthful appearance. You can reach us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 216.514.8899. We look forward to hearing from you!